Meditation is one of those things where everyone seems like they're doing it yet nobody really knows how.
I always had a problem with it.
I read some books and spent some time in the early mornings legs folded or even in child’s pose emptying my mind, but it never came naturally or became a habit I look forward to.
Then I read this quote in Tricycle Mag from an interview with the composer Philip Glass who happens to be Buddhist.
Here it is:
Meditation is just paying attention.
This one comment flipped the switch for me.
It is not cryptic or obscure. You don't have to practice non-doing or whatever.
It’s just paying attention.
I do this when I am out walking or sometimes listening to music or even writing when I am writing my best.
Here is a statue of Budai, the Happy Buddha.
My three favorite quotes about meditation are: (1) Buddha was asked, “What have you gained from meditation?” He replied, “Nothing!” Then he continued, “However, let me tell you what I have lost: anger, anxiety, depression, insecurity, fear of old age and death.” (2) "Ten minutes of meditation is the 1% of your day that makes the other 99% better." (3) “You should sit in meditation for twenty minutes everyday - unless you're too busy; then you should sit for an hour.” I love meditation...i find that guided meditation through apps like Calm helped me in the beginning...now I simply goto my "happy place" whether its a walk in nature or quiet time in my zen garden...the more thoughts that come I simply acknowledge them, and then let them go. Meditation for me is turning inward, and quieting the mind. They say when you pray, you talk to God...but when you meditate, God talks to you. Im pretty agnostic, but this also resonates with many people. Thanks for the article Phil!